Criminal Law Division
The Criminal Law Division has the responsibility of discharging the statutory duties assigned to the Attorney General to include statewide representation on all criminal appeals, discretionary assistance and investigative support to local prosecuting attorneys, investigation and prosecution of Medicaid provider fraud, prosecution of insurance fraud, investigation and prosecution of Internet crimes against children and the provision of legal services to various departments that deal with criminal matters.
The division provides legal services for and supervises Deputy Attorneys General who serve:
- the Department of Correction;
- the Idaho State Police;
- the Department of Juvenile Corrections.
Specifically, the Criminal Law Division:
- Represents the state in criminal appeals before the Idaho Supreme Court, the Idaho Court of Appeals, and in death penalty appeals and habeas corpus litigation in state and federal courts.
- Provides prosecutorial assistance to counties in cases requiring special expertise, or where there is a conflict of interest.
- Provides statewide assistance through the Criminal Investigations Unit to local agencies requiring such expertise.
- Investigates and prosecutes crimes involving Medicaid provider fraud.
- Prosecutes crimes involving insurance fraud that are investigated by the Idaho Department of Insurance.
- Investigates and prosecutes crimes against children involving the Internet and is the lead agency of the Idaho Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
- Provides written opinions on criminal justice issues.
Paul Panther, Division Chief
LaMont Anderson, Lead Deputy
Frances Nix, Administrative Assistant
Phone: (208) 334-4545
Fax: (208) 854-8074